Read result value of formula

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to achieve the goal: create a web application using the result of calculations in my Excel workbook based on values provided by the user.

I have the following scenario:

- A template Excel file with a lot of formulas (referencing to values and formulas on multiple worksheets) calculating a user's 'category' based on 20 questions (likert scale)

- Because of the rate of change and complexity of these formulas I don't want to hard code these calculations into the web application

- I'm currently opening the excel; programmatically enter the values into the correct cells

- The sheet is saved correctly and the result of the formula based on the values are shown in Excel when opening the file

- I can't find a way to programmatically get hold of this result value -> EPPlus is returning an empty string when trying to fetch the .Value of the cell with the result formula.

Is there any way to get hold of the result value?

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Hi,

No, EPPlus has no calculation engine. It depends on Excel to calculate all formulas when the workbook is opened.

Jan

Mar 7 at 7:08 PM
Any update on this or is EPPlus still unable to programmatically execute formulas?
Developer
Mar 10 at 1:21 PM
Hi,

the upcoming beta realease of EPPlus 4.0 will have support for formula evaluation. It will probably be released in a week or so.

/Mats
Mar 13 at 11:08 PM
Got the new dll. Is there any documentation on how to calculate formulas?
Developer
Mar 14 at 6:17 AM
Check out the new formula samples in the sample project. But basically, you just call the Calculate() method on workbook, worksheet or range and the calculated values will be set on each cell containing a formula.