This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Excel displays 'save changes' dialogue when closing a generated file.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank you for this splendid library. The users of my app and I greatly appreciate the speed and independence of MS Office when using it.

There is one issue that can be bothersome. When a user uses Excel to read a generated file and closes it again, Excel will display a 'Save Changes' dialogue even when no changes were made. Some of my users generate hundreds of files on a day which all have to be verified. These are test reports and have to be verified manually. I also see the same dialogue when opening and closing files generated by the sample code. When I inspect the extracted XML files I see that Excel added files (docprops and theme) and changed the worksheets.

Is it possible to avoid the 'Save Changes' dialogue and/or these changes?

Best regards,

Koen

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM

No, I don't think so. EPPlus rely on Excel to calculate all formulas, so Excel will recreate all calculations chains when the document is loaded the first time.

Also, as you say, Excel creates themes and doc-properties and properly some other stuff. The only way I can think of avoiding it is to use a signed template with a macro that saves on startup (I have not tried it myself), but that is not the most pretty solution :)

Jan

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Thanks for your response. I guess we will have to live with it! The advantages of EPPlus far outweigh this inconvenience.

Koen