This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Convert Excel 2003 XML structure to xlsx using EEPlus

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I have a generalized routine written AS3 (Adobe Flex) that creates Excel 2003 xml style workbooks from datagrids. It works swimmingly.

Once created it sends the xml to an aspx file on the server which then bounces (streams) it back to the client. It has an issue where Excel 2007, due to Extension Hardening, gives a nasty error message about the file being potentially corrupt, and I do not see a way around it.

After finding this project, I thought that if there was an existing method that would take the older xml file and convert it to the "new and improved" 2007 xlsx structure, it would resolve that issue. So the question is, does that capability exist? In this project?

Paul

Editor
Feb 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM

No...and I think that will be more difficult than create a new one from scratch. If I were you, I will create another method to do a new parser from xml to xlsx.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM
Edited Feb 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Since my Flex frontend actually creates the XML, I suppose I could create my own version of an xml structure and write a translator that reads that simplified xml and creates xlsx using EPPlus.

Has anyone developed any standard interface to EPPlus, that I can create a data stream for which would then be converted to an xlsx format?

What I believe EPPlus is, is an API available from .net that allows me to create workbooks. It effectively requires custom programming for each workbook I want to create.

What I am looking for is something that I can shove data at that will understand the structure I shove at it, be it XML or something else, and would convert it to xlsx.

Paul

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Hi,

No,there is nothing build-in the component that converts from older formats.

Jan

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Would a simplistic implementation of importing excel 2003 xml structure be considered useful?

By simplistic I mean something would migrate columns and rows, with no calculations, or other bells & whistles.

Paul

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I guess it could be useful. If you plan to do an implementation, you are welcome to share it.

Jan

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Hi,

Is this functionalit already part of EPPlus? I think this is a great way to simply import a Excel 2003 file saved as Excel 2003 XML Worksheet!

Danny

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

No, there is no such functionality in version 2.9