GPL is holding you back...

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:16 AM

This is a fantastic product. Love it. But GPL!? Seriously!?

We would like to use you product in the comercial (propriatry) software. We wouldn't even mind paying for it. But your licensing is forsing us to go with anothe inferior solution.

I know you stated about a year ago that you have no objections to the commercial use of EPPlus. 

http://epplus.codeplex.com/discussions/208363
Anyway, if you want to use the component commercial, I dont have any problem with that, but if you do any changes to the component that could benefit the project, please contribute them.

Great but your resonse on some forum is not a substitution for license. I cannot put it to the project documentation folder.

If you are serious about allowing people to use yor product commercially please consider adjusting the license or issuing custom license if it is more appropriate for you.

Best regards

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Yes, the GPL license has it's drawbacks, but the problem here is that the project EPPlus origins from (ExcelPackage) is licensed GPL.

So my options if I want to change the licens is to get a permission from the ExcelPackage project owner (I have tried that, with no answer) or rewrite everything.

It is not that much left from the original Excelpackage, apart from the interface and some fragments here and there, but I'm not really sure where you draw the line here.

So, if I deside to change the licens I guess I will be personally responsible for it and I'm not really comfortable with that yet.

Jan

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Thank you Jan,

I understand your difficulties. The GPL does indeed limit your target audience. But well, you can only do what you can do.

Best regards,
Taras