This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Create excel file on server from template

May 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Edited May 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Hi all, first of all thanks for Your work, I've just started using this library but seeing thing it can done...wow :)

I'm having a trouble figuring one little thing.

I would like to create an excel file from a template - create a new ExcelPackage in MemoryStream but using a file that I will load from server.

Something like:

using (ExcelPackage p = new ExcelPackage(new MemoryStream(), new FileInfo("~/Test.xlsx")))
            {
            }

But I can't pass FileInfo as second parameter :/ Any ideas how to do that?

My second question is how to copy a row (cells having name) add data to it.

In my template I have 3 cells called "row" I would like to add copy of this row for every row in my DataTable and update formulas in summary row that is after template row.

EDIT:

I've solved first part like so:

using (ExcelPackage p = new ExcelPackage(new MemoryStream(), new MemoryStream(File.ReadAllBytes(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("Test.xlsx")))))
            {
            }

I'm using System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath() because I'm generating my excel in ashx

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I have a template problem as well.  I have template.xlsx that I'm opening, then adding a new sheet which is a copy of the first sheet.  I can copy the template to a new worksheet locally, but failure occurs when I push the code to my dev server.  The following line of code works fine on localhost, but not when I push to my dev server.

Dim worksheet As ExcelWorksheet = excelPackage.Workbook.Worksheets.Add("Sheet2", excelPackage.Workbook.Worksheets(1))

That line of code throws the following error:

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at OfficeOpenXml.ExcelWorksheets.get_Item(Int32 PositionID)

the rest of the stack trace just points to line numbers in my code

The file permissions are the same for the template on both servers.  Locally I have Excel installed, but that shouldn't matter.  The only file I've deployed to the dev server's bin is EPPlus.dll.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Laura