This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Possible to move to Git?

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM
Hi,

I'm curious if the team has considered moving changing from Mercurial to Git?

My personal experience has been that git a lot easier to work with, especially with the new Visual Studio integration.

I'm happy to try to contribute either way, just seeing if the idea had been tossed around yet...
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:15 PM
Hi,

we have been discussing this, every now and then we get requests to move from Codeplex to Github and from Mercurial to Git. But so far we are quite happy with Mercurial, we are using VisualHg/TortoiseHg that we think provides a quite good experience in VS. Both Jan and myself are using Git/Github in other contexts, so we´ll see what happens in the future. Nothing planned for now though.
Feb 19, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Would this convince you to move to Github / Bitbucket? I have been emailing Codeplex's outsource support for months about their broken Hg. They have already admitted they can't fix their SVN - it is beyond broken.

FYI - KilnHg.com is an easy way to convert for free...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1389307/convert-a-mercurial-repository-to-git/22189212#22189212
.. if this f...n broken website experience isn't enough (it broke that link so I had to quote it as code, FFS)

or ... duh, the Github importer - https://import.github.com/new

Anyway, this is my view of your repo tonight, not for the first time (or first repo)...usually it's a 502...
hg clone --verbose https://hg.codeplex.com/epplus "D:\CodezOnD\Excel\epplus"
HTTP Error: 500 (URL Rewrite Module Error.)
[command returned code 255 Fri Feb 19 23:24:18 2016]
Nov 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Guys any news on this?
It would be awesome t have this at GitHub. More of us can contribute.
Nov 22, 2016 at 11:14 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2016 at 11:15 PM
@Swmal and @Jan

the move to Github (or BB if you are not a GH fan) is not so much about you two, but about OSS + community.

"so far we are quite happy with Mercurial"
Sure you two are happy with HG, etc (and that's totally fine) but most people in the community are not.

IMO, if you want to get some really good OSS tracking (e.g. other people forking, fixing, pull requesting) then it really should be migrated to git.

my 2c, if that helps.

SIDE NOTE: great work on a really good project.

-le me-
Dec 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM
EPPlus moving to Github or Bitbucket has been requested multiple times, in this thread but also in the issue tracker. Perhaps we should explain our standpoint on this and the so called "OSS traction" a little further.

First of all - Jan and I are brothers. Jan stared this project in 2010 and has basically written the core of EPPlus alone. After a few years I joined him and did the DataValidation and the formula engine. We both have full time dayjobs and families and whatever we do on EPPlus is on our sparetime. We could never predict how widely used EPPlus would become. The millionth download from Nuget happened some months ago and a lot of companies are heavily depending on it. Therefore we try to keep EPPlus as stable as possible and tests it throughly ourselves before we release a new version.

If you look at our discussion forum and the issue tracker you can easily see that we have lost control over this long ago. Same thing goes for Stackoverflow. If we would try to handle this massive flow of questions, issues and feature request we should probably have to spend every second of our spare time on it. None of us is interested of "making a name" in the community and we get very few donations to the project in relation to the massive use of it. So we work on it mostly for fun and when we feel like it.

Now, the interaction with the OSS community have so far certainly had its ups and downs. We have had people joining the project just to add a link to their bio somewhere on the Internet. We have had people that has promised to delivered certain features commiting half finished work and then suddenly disappears. At one single occation we were actually approached by a person who wanted to deliver a missing major feature (conditional formatting) and then did it. When it comes to pull requests we sometimes get contributions with beautiful, clean code with full unit test coverage, those makes us very happy. But we also get pull requests that doesn´t even compile, breaks hundreds of unit tests and then the worst ones - when someone has changed something that seems to makes sense, but totally breaks something else. Especially Jan has spent days on these ones.

What I am trying to say is that we cannot handle more input from the community. We can easily see that moving to github would increase the amount of community input massively and we would not be able to handle that. To be frank, codeplex seems to reduce this input massively.

So to the OSS as a whole - we are totally fine if you fork EPPlus, move it to github, maybe rename it to EPPlusPlus or something else. If you got what it takes you could easily keep a higher speed than we currently do. Or start to help us out here at codeplex in a structured way, and we can talk about github later. We could certainly need some help with people answering questions in the forum and fixing issues for us in the issue tracker. Contact Jan, who is the coordinator, via the contact form here on codeplex if you want to help out.